Quick review of strict & push press to get newer folks familiar with the terms and differences.
- Stance is with the heels at hip width
- Hands just outside the shoulders
- Bar resting on the “rack” or “shelf” created by the shoulders
- Elbows in front of bar; elbows are lower than in the front squat, but not behind the bar
- Keep the chest up and brace the abdominals to maintain a neutral spine
- Closed grip, with thumbs around the bar
- The sequence of action is to: dip, drive, press under, stand
- Dip: perform a shallow dip (flexion) of the hips, where the knees push forward slightly, the hips go back slightly, and the chest stays upright
- Drive: extend the hip rapidly and fully
- Press under: Retreat the hip downward and drive the body under the bar, while rapidly pressing the bar overhead
- Receive the bar with arms locked out overhead (the torso does not have to be vertical here)
- Stand to full extension with the bar locked out overhead
- The movement finishes with the bar locked out overhead in the frontal plane with active shoulders, and hips and knees at full extension.
Progression (without the bar)
- Jump and land with hands at sides. Stick the landing.
- Jump and land with hands at shoulders throughout the movement. Stick the landing.
- Jump with hands at shoulders and extend them overhead at the same time as the land.
- With stick in hands, full Push Jerk
MAIN SITE WOD 12/18/2016
Strict Press: 1-1-1-1-1 using heaviest weight per set
Push Press: 3-3-3-3-3 using heaviest weight per set
Push Jerk: 5-5-5-5-5 using heaviest weight per set
Rest 1 minute
Rest 1 minute
1/2 the class can start on the row, half can start on the run