First off, I hear numerous people came to the Hangar Tuesday night to WOD even though there was no coach scheduled. I am absolutely thrilled to hear you guys are putting in the work! This is what makes the time we put in worthwhile.
We will be doing this EVERYDAY and yes, I’m going to bore you with the details. You need to drill this into muscle memory so when you get a barbell in your hand you don’t have to think.
Jump up and down in place – this is your starting stance
Move your feet out to your squat stance – this is your finish stance
Modified Burgener Warm Up – Move with a purpose
- Down (knee bend, chest up) and finish (shrug) – Speed through the middle
- 1 + Elbow High & outside – Bar close
- 1 + 2 + Muscle Snatch – Turnover
- PVC Overhead Squat – Core strength
- Snatch lands (starting stance, dropping into a squat, landing in finish stance)
Push Jerk (not Split)
- Stance is with the heels at hip width
- Hands just outside the shoulders
- Bar resting on the “rack” or “shelf” created by the shoulders
- Elbows in front of bar; elbows are lower than in the front squat, but not behind the bar
- Keep the chest up and brace the abdominals to maintain a neutral spine
- Closed grip, with thumbs around the bar
- The sequence of action is to: dip, drive, press under, stand
- Dip: perform a shallow dip (flexion) of the hips, where the knees push forward slightly, the hips go back slightly, and the chest stays upright
- Drive: extend the hip rapidly and fully
- Press under: Retreat the hip downward and drive the body under the bar, while rapidly pressing the bar overhead
- Receive the bar with arms locked out overhead (the torso does not have to be vertical here)
- Stand to full extension with the bar locked out overhead
- The movement finishes with the bar locked out overhead in the frontal plane with active shoulders, and hips and knees at full extension.
Progression (without the bar)
- Jump and land with hands at sides. Stick the landing.
- Jump and land with hands at shoulders throughout the movement. Stick the landing.
- Jump with hands at shoulders and extend them overhead at the same time as the land.
- With stick in hands, full Push Jerk
Push Jerk: 5 sets, 3 reps
15 Push Jerk 115/75
30 Air Squats