Quick review of strict & push press to get newer folks familiar with the terms and differences.
Push Jerk (not Split)
- Stance is with the heels at hip width
- Hands just outside the shoulders
- Bar resting on the “rack” or “shelf” created by the shoulders
- Elbows in front of bar; elbows are lower than in the front squat, but not behind the bar
- Keep the chest up and brace the abdominals to maintain a neutral spine
- Closed grip, with thumbs around the bar
- The sequence of action is to: dip, drive, press under, stand
- Dip: perform a shallow dip (flexion) of the hips, where the knees push forward slightly, the hips go back slightly, and the chest stays upright
- Drive: extend the hip rapidly and fully
- Press under: Retreat the hip downward and drive the body under the bar, while rapidly pressing the bar overhead
- Receive the bar with arms locked out overhead (the torso does not have to be vertical here)
- Stand to full extension with the bar locked out overhead
- The movement finishes with the bar locked out overhead in the frontal plane with active shoulders, and hips and knees at full extension.
Progression (without the bar)
- Jump and land with hands at sides. Stick the landing.
- Jump and land with hands at shoulders throughout the movement. Stick the landing.
- Jump with hands at shoulders and extend them overhead at the same time as the land.
- With stick in hands, full Push Jerk
Push Jerk: E2MOM for 10 mins (5 sets): 5 reps
20 Double Unders
1 mile run (use the outside route to make it more enjoyable)